How to Make Packaging and Envelopes
When a card maker has spent a lot of time creating a special handmade card or gift, it seems a shame to place the card in a shop bought envelope or packaging. There are many quick and simple ways to make unique envelopes and packaging that will complement handmade cards and gifts.
How to Make PackagingHandmade gift packaging is simple to make and can be a low-cost alternative to expensive shop-bought gift bags and boxes. This is also a great way to make packaging to complement a handmade gift. A wide variety of items can be used as packaging. The type of item to be packaged will help to determine the packaging required. A fragile item, for instance, requires more protection than something that is robust.
Items that can be used to make packaging include:
- Cardboard tubes – the tubes from the inside of kitchen paper rolls are ideal for packaging small items. The cardboard tubes can be covered with decorative paper and these look great while also providing protection. A cardboard tube can also simply be wrapped to create a cracker-style package.
- Recycled gift bags – gift bags can easily be recycled. They can be dressed up or covered with embellishments such as paper flowers or bows. A gift bag that is not in good enough condition to be recycled can be dismantled and used as a template.
- Gift boxes – simple gift boxes are easy to make and can be created from thick paper or cardboard. Origami gift boxes can be made from a single sheet of square paper and these can be made in a variety of sizes.
– pieces of fabric are ideal for making gift packaging. Small gift bags can also be made from offcuts of fabric. Using fabric as gift packaging is a great way to save money and to recycle unwanted fabric items.
- Shredded paper – protect items using shredded paper. Shredded colourful magazine pages make an interesting alternative to shredded plain paper.
How to Make EnvelopesMaking envelopes to go with handmade cards is very simple. Decorative paper can be used to make envelopes that co-ordinate or complement the handmade card. Other types of paper, including gift wrap and even pages from a magazine can also be used to make envelopes and this is a great way to recycle. One of the advantages of making envelopes is that they can be tailor made to the size of the card. It is important to note that envelopes that are to be sent through the postal system should be have a clear space on the front to display the address.
There are many different styles of envelope templates available, however one quick and easy way to make a template is to carefully take apart an envelope that is the right size for the card. This can then be used as a template to make handmade envelopes. The size can be customised if required.
Handmade envelopes can be securely fastened with adhesive tape. A more decorative finish can be achieved using a sticker. Envelopes that are to be put through the postal system should be securely fastened.
Making handmade packaging and envelopes is a great way to produce unique items of packaging while also saving money.